New to Healthy by Choices? Take a look around and then sign up for inspirational, informational emails and never miss a thing!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolve to Meet Your Goals this Year


Recently I caught the Thanksgiving wrap up episode of the Biggest Loser that was being replayed on NBC.  Apparently, tennis great Anna Kournikova was one of the new trainers.  My guess is that if she was half the personal trainer as she was a tennis player, her clients were sweating like never before.  What she mentioned on the wrap up show that day though, stopped me in my tracks.  It is the same thing that I tell everyone that I work with.  She said that she wasn’t responsible for the success of the people that she was training.  She said that it didn’t matter what trainer the contestants had and when they switched trainers it mattered even less.  What mattered was what the contestants did, what they gave and were willing to do.  Their success, and therefore their failure, was their own, not the trainers.

Own your success.  If you own your success, then you must also own your failure.  Know why you succeed, know why you failed and don’t be afraid of either.  We hear or say “Oh, you didn’t fail!” or something equally pacifying, enough times that we start to believe it and think “Well, I don’t need to reach that goal.  This is good enough.  I am satisfied this way”.    But is that satisfying?  Is that meaningful?  My guess is no.  Own your failures too.  By doing that, you will not only know that you tried, are trying, and are going to succeed, but success will come to you so much faster because you know what doesn’t work.  You can’t get to the top of a mountain of any kind if you are okay with slipping, sliding back down to the starting point and camping there. 

Another recent quote made me laugh out loud and cheer while I sat at my computer.  It was from Gwyneth Paltrow on Pintrest.  Please excuse the language here, but you get the idea... "The reason that I can be 38 and have two kids and wear a bikini is because I work my (expletive) ass off.  It’s not an accident.  It’s not luck, it’s not fairy dust, it’s not good genes.  It’s killing myself for an hour and half five days a week, but what I get out of it is relative to what I put inot it.  That’s what I try to do in all areas of my life.”

Happy New Year!  Choose the healthy choices this year and get what you want.  Don’t let them slip by.  It’s hard, I know.  But you can do it.  I am here for you along the way.  Let me know what questions you have and I will try to get them answered here for you.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

This is me being lazy but I was wondering if you could do a post on questions to ask when looking to purchase meat and/or milk directly from a farm/ranch.